Every Wednesday, March 2-May 25. Auditions for Spring 2016 are on February 28.
Download Registration Form Here: JazzEnsembleRegistrationForm
The Asheville Music School Jazz Ensemble is comprised of young musicians ages 10-18. Led by local jazz artists who have performed on national stages, Jacob Rodriguez (saxophone) and Ben Bjorlie (bass and drums), will guide young musicians through a large repertoire of jazz standards. Genres may include big band swing hits, bebop tunes by Charlie Parker, and ballads from the great John Coltrane.
Previous knowledge of jazz and improvisation is welcome, but not required. Our jazz educators will walk students through the theory and various approaches of improvisation. Students entering the program should have at least one year of experience on their instrument and experience reading sheet music.
AMS ensembles have graced the stages of The Orange Peel, Downtown After Five, and Isis Music Hall. Students will also participate in a community outreach concert, using music to bring joy to those in need in our community. Recent sites include hospitals, assisted living centers, and soup kitchens. Through this experience students learn the valuable lesson of giving back, and can also earn volunteer hours!
STUDENTS LEARN OR HONE THE FOLLOWING MUSICAL SKILLS:
- Creativity through improvisation
- Navigating a jazz chart
- Performing with dynamics
- Mastering grooves unique to jazz styles
- Creating original arrangements of jazz standards
- Playing as a cohesive unit
- Listening and balancing with other musicians
- Sight reading new tunes
- Understanding jazz theory and history
STUDENTS LEARN OR HONE THE FOLLOWING PERSONAL SKILLS
- Self expression
- Jazz band welcomes all wind and brass instruments, piano, guitar, bass (upright and electric), percussion, and vocals
- Private lessons are recommended, but not required, to prepare for auditions, rehearsals, and performances. AMS can recommend a great teacher for your instrument and learning style!
- To audition, contact Gabrielle Tee, AMS Outreach Manager, at outreach@ashevillemusicschool.
org or call (828) 252-6244. Auditions for Spring 2016 will be held on Feb 28.
- Jazz Band membership requires dedicated participation. Rehearsals are every Wednesday evening, 7:00-8:00 in March, April, and May.