The mission of Asheville Music School is strengthening communities through music education and outreach, while sustaining teachers and musicians in a vibrant music culture. At our downtown Asheville facility, more than 35 music educators conduct private lessons in a wide variety of music styles and instruments for students of all ages and abilities. We also offer ensemble classes, summer camps, master classes and workshops in a supportive family-friendly environment. Our instructors are professional music educators, many of whom also perform at local and regional venues. We strive to keep music education accessible for students by providing scholarships to those unable to afford music lessons, and we aim to keep music educators and teaching artists in business by providing affordable studio space.
Launched as a community business in 1996, Asheville Music School transitioned to 501(c)(3) status in 2012, and is governed by a volunteer board of directors. The school, located on Pack Square in downtown Asheville, is open 7 days a week and lessons can be scheduled any time of the day or evening.
Since its inception as a nonprofit, AMS has awarded more than $30,000 in need-based scholarships to those unable to afford private music lessons. The Sound Education outreach program connects AMS students, faculty and underserved community members through free performances and group music classes for veterans, seniors, the homeless, people in recovery and those living with disabilities.
AMS Core Programs Include
- Private Music Lessons for students of all ages and skill levels in piano, guitar, violin, cello, bass, voice, saxophone, flute, trumpet, drums, percussion, and more.
- Student Bands & Ensembles that rehearse regularly and perform as part of the Sound Education Outreach program throughout the community.
- Summer Camps for ages 4 – 18 where students learn to play in an ensemble, take field trips, and record songs.
- Group Classes and Workshops with AMS faculty and guest artists.
- A Scholarship Program based on need providing financial assistance for music lessons.
- Community Outreach, providing music in much needed ways throughout our Western NC community
What People Are Saying
“Our family spends a lot of time at Asheville Music School. With two boys, both in ensembles and taking lessons, there is never a complaint about practicing or getting in the car to head downtown. I credit my children’s instructors for this love of music…”
~Sarah Turner, AMS Parent
“Our family loves Asheville Music School. My children enjoy lessons in a positive, family-friendly environment along with amazing opportunities to serve the larger community by performing in the outreach program.”
~Danise Hauser, AMS Parent