July 17 Update:
Asheville Music School is continuing to closely follow updates from state officials on school reopening. The majority of our lessons are still online only, with a few in-person lessons happening throughout the week. We are adhering to Phase 2 regulations, where no more than 10 people are using our facility at the same time. Masks are required to enter the building, social distancing is required, and hand-sanitizing stations are available.
We are currently working on plans for our Sound Education outreach bands for Fall 2020. Stay tuned for an announcement in early August. Contact Program Director Kylie Irvin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Here is some updated information pulled from the Asheville Chamber of Commerce website.
North Carolina schools will open this fall
Gov. Roy Cooper has announced that North Carolina public schools will open in the fall for both in-person and remote learning with key safety precautions to protect the health of students, teachers, staff and families.
Here are the safety precautions outlined in the Strong Schools NC Public Health Toolkit.
- Face coverings will be required for every teacher, staff member and student from kindergarten through high school. The state will provide at least five reusable face coverings for every student, teacher and staff member.
- Schools will be required to limit the total number of people in buildings so that 6 feet of distancing is possible. Districts and schools can use a plan that works for them – whether it’s alternating days or weeks or some other strategy.
- Symptom screenings, including temperature checks, will take place daily.
- Schools must create a way to isolate students who have symptoms.
- Schedules must allow time for frequent hand washing and schools will regularly clean classrooms, bathrooms, buses and equipment.
- Teachers will work to limit sharing of personal items and classroom materials.
- Nonessential visitors and activities involving outside organizations will be limited.
- Schools will discontinue the use of self-service food or beverage distribution.